X

Hackworks

Building First Mate

A sailboat designed by Ross Lillistone

Built by Stephen Chatelain

[Page 3] Goto Page 2

06/22/2020 - It's been a busy week. Cleaning up old tasks, starting new ones, and lots of sanding!

The mid-ship seat went in. I wanted the seat to "flow" into the centerboard case, so I added an angled piece that wasn't in the plans. It will also catch my butt if I slide backwards when I row.

Here is the "mostly" finished interior. The only things missing are the deck, centerboard case top, hatch covers, oarlocks, and paint. I'm saving those for last. Now it's time to flip the boat.

With a little help, the boat was flipped and the bottom work started. I cut the centerboard slot to match the case and was careful not to cut into the fiberglass on the inside of the case. Next I have to fill all the holes left from the zip ties and the gaps between plywood panels. I'll sand it all down and cover the entire bottom with fiberglass cloth.

I've also started working on the spars. Here I'm laminating three layers of pine to form the boom, and once it cures, I'll plane it down and sand it. I'm keeping the boom and yard square with rounded edges for simplicity.

The mast will be next with four staves of Douglas fir glued in a square pattern and then sanded round.

06/29/2020 - Now I've started a second project. I couldn't find a decent used boat trailer or a cheap new one, so I decided to buy a trailer kit from Harbor Freight and modify it to carry the boat.

Here's the base kit minus the coupler and lights. I'll extend the tongue to 11 feet by swapping out the standard bar for a longer, thicker one. The trailer is rated for 1150lbs. which is plenty for my 180lb. boat. Also, I have to add bunks, side guides, and a winch post. When it's all finished, it'll cost about the same as an old used boat trailer.

Laying the fiberglass cloth over the bottom. There was a lot of prep work to sand the chines down. Chines are sharp edges where the bottom changes angle. And then I had to smooth out the cloth to remove all wrinkles.

Wetting out the fiberglass took about two hours. That was hard work in 90 degree heat. I ended up putting on three coats in one day with only about an hour between coats because the epoxy cured so fast in that heat.

I left it to cure for two days, and then I filled in some low spots and sanded down some runs.

08/08/2020 - It's been too long since I last posted, but things have been moving slowly.

I attached the keel batten and the skeg...

Started shaping the boom and the yard. I was going to keep them square for simplicity, but once I started sanding, I just kept going until they were round. Oh well, they look much better now - and they're lighter.

Primered the hull...

Painted the hull...

And finished the trailer - mostly. Had to work through some grounding issues with the lights. The trailer was very well painted, but that meant I had to sand down to bare metal at five different grounding points.

08/26/2020 - Will it ever be finished?!

Finally got around to glassing the centerboard.

And here's the centerboard installed in the boat in the "down" position. Now I have to fabricate a push rod to raise and lower the board while sailing.

Cutting out the case caps. These will be less permanent (screwed on) since I may need to remove them to maintain the centerboard in the future.

Look at that! I put the boat on the trailer so I can move it out of the garage when I need to. The trailer now has carpeted bunks, a keel roller, trailer jack, and reflective stickers on the tongue. I think I'll still fabricate a winch post at the front of the boat to hold the front securely.

Making a mast is a time-consuming project. My first attempt was with douglas fir, but that went bad in a hurry. So then I tried some simple pine and that was much easier to work with. It finally looks like a mast after much measuring, planing, sanding, and varnishing.

Testing the fit of the mast in the mast step and partner. I'll probably wrap a layer of thin rope around it at the partner to protect it and make it fit snug.

You can see from this pic that the inside has a coat of primer and is ready for paint.

The sail has been laced to the yard and boom. The sail appears to be a perfect fit.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I just had to see how it's going to look with the sail raised.

Last of the centerboard work - I varnished the centerboard case cap and the push rod. I spent too much time trying to figure out how to fabricate the push rod (pushes the centerboard down) and link it to the centerboard. I've seen it made in wood and metal, and always better than what I could do. So I finally went with a simple handle and rod made from wood I had laying around. Then I mounted some stainless steel flat braces to each side of the centerboard, and those will attach to the end of the rod.

More to come...